Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 9 August 2017

Jane Beck and Tregaron Bog - Wales 2017

On Saturday afternoon, I wanted to drive to Tregaron, to visit the shop of Jane Beck. Jane deals mainly in the Welsh blankets and shawls, but often comes across quilts with these, and thus has a selection on her website. I have bought two quilts from her, including a wedding quilt by Miss Jones of Ty Mawr, Brecfa, which I really like.
 

The satnav sucessfully found the shop for us, a bit out of the way like many things in Wales....
The Shop is called Ty Zinc or tin hut....


The shop is crammed full of blankets..


Some new, some antique...


Most are arranged by colour, for use in interior decorating...


There are also coats...




Bags....

 
And hot water bottle covers (very popular).
 
No, I didn't buy this hat, very fetching however...
 
 
Jane at her counter, with little dog Binkey...


Jane also has two shepherds huts for rent in a field across the road, we went to have a look...

After visiting the shop, I could not resist a trip to what we used to call "Tregaron Bog", a part of the scientific journal reading for my PhD in ecology (long ago now). It now seems to be called Cors Caron, the local Welsh name.

 
It is a raised bog, a rarity nowadays but formerly more common. Most have been destroyed so this is worthy of interest.
Grazing by local ponies...

Lakes created by water management, some on former peat cuttings...
...and a Sphagnum pool, testimony to the unpolluted environment in Wales.

No comments:

Post a Comment