Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 11 December 2016

Green Welsh Quilt - Child Size?


Here is a quilt that was an unexpected purchase at the Festival of Quilts. The purchase price was a donation towards a Charity seeking to provide sewing tuition and materials to Nepali women. The quilt is a small size - larger that cot size, perhaps a lap quilt or a childs quilt? It is made from artificial silk, so is not of any great age....


While not in great condition (being whiskered around the edges) the attraction is the good quilting and the clever use of quilting motifs. There are some nice paisley pears to be seen here...


The centre is a flower, surrounded by paired paisleys and smaller flowers. Some close quilting here...


The corners have an attractive squares pattern...the border has more paisleys and flowers...


The edges are hand stitched...


Some beautiful double lines of quilting...the colour is a sage green. A nice display of Welsh quilting motifs.

2 comments:

  1. Really nice quilt and lovely Paisley Pears. I missed that stand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Pippa. I haven't stopped by for quite awhile, regrettably, but, I'm so glad I did today. The quilting in this quilt is breath-taking. I always enjoy seeing what you've collected. Wishing you a happy holiday season!

    ReplyDelete