Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 26 May 2016

Small Welsh Quilt?

Here is a small quilt. It was originally bought by the seller in Greenwich Village in NYC - so could be Welsh, North Country or possibly French.

The size is what I would term a child's quilt - too large for a cot quilt at 49 x 55 inches. The style is a frame...a pink print with diamond hand quilting in the centre....


Then, hand stitched swirls with fans and flowers around the edges...


The edge is neatly hand stitched.

The centre has somewhat of a French boutis feel to it...


The reverse is a pale print with a small fern motif - difficult to know what the original colour was.

The reverse - a printed fabric. Like most cot quilts and children's quilts, one feels that it must have been much used and much loved, so the shabby quality adds to the charm, I think..

What so you think, Welsh, Durham or French?

4 comments:

  1. I don't have the experience you have in studying Welsh and Durham quilts but it looks French to me. Do you often see UK quilts with the fairly plain quilting in the center?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I know nothing about Welsh quilts I am on a mission to learn about them. What makes a quilt a Welsh quilt? I mean I know they are from across the pond but what design element makes it a Welsh quilt? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It doesn't have a Welsh feel to it for me - well, I say that, but certainly not Carmarthenshire - they favour leaves and hearts, from memory. The border could well be North Country. Have you had further thoughts on it?

    ReplyDelete