Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Thursday 1 January 2015

Pink/Gray/White Hmong Coverlet

Here is a coverlet that I bought recently....very inexpensively , which is a shame, as there is much work here.....this coverlet is Hmong work from the hills of Thailand. It was bought as a souvenir some thirty years ago, on the slopes of Doi Suthep, north of Chiang Mai, the seller informed me.


Its a very large coverlet....so only half is shown here...


The colours are clearly for the tourist market, but the workmanship is very experienced indeed. The designs are traditional, if simplified, and colours to suit the tourists....


Unlike the traditional work, the stitches here, although tiny and made with fine thread, are spaced further apart . I can only marvel at the economy and expertise seen here....some areas have lifted up where threads have broken.....


If you've done applique yourself, you know how difficult it can be to get the curves and points to co- operate!


This is not a quilt, as it has not been quilted....but it has been given a backing. The front is folded to the rear to give a nice finish.



3 comments:

  1. That is a nice piece. I haven't seen many that large and I don't think I've ever seen one quilted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely coverlet. Unique and interesting. I didn't realize the Hmong were from Thailand. We came across the Hmong culture when we served our mission in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing piece of work. Lucky you for being able to find it and add it to your collection. A beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete