Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Sunday 16 November 2014

Quilted Bed Jacket - Saltburn near Redcar

This quilted bed jacket came from an estate auction some years ago at Saltburn near Redcar. This area is in the far north part of Yorkshire. The family's name was Robinson, of "the horsey set" the dealer tells me.


This little jacket is very nicely quilted and finished. The outside is an ivory silk or artificial silk, and the lining is of pink cotton. The front fastening is a single button. The edges are nicely finished by hand.


The design is a simple one piece design...no separate arm pieces, here. The quilting is effective, some curling feathers on the sleeves and front...


The back is treated in a similar manner...


The stitching looks attractive on the lining, as well..



I'm not sure of the date of this item, but according to the dealer, it is not recent as it was in her collection for some years. It does make me wonder if it is another small RIB item, or if it was part of the post war trend for smaller quilted items.







No comments:

Post a Comment