Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 25 June 2014

Another Wave Quilt

Earlier, I showed a Cumbrian strippy quilt that I had bought; I had wanted an example of a wave quilted bed quilt. The wave pattern, an allover quilting pattern, is typical of Cumbria, the Isle of Man and Ireland. Surprisingly, there was another wave quilt available at a reasonable price - here it is. It is a utility quilt, made of scraps and offcuts in a frame pattern. The quilt measures 72" by 87".


One side is made of cotton sateen prints and blue fabrics. I had thought that there were two blue fabrics - but looking closely, you can see that it is only one re-used fabric, where a seam has been unpicked. Part of the fabric, which was exposed to sunlight, was faded,  while the portion protected in a seam is unfaded. The quilt cannot have been much used as the threads still remain from the unpicking.



The quilting is a very even looking stitch. I am wondering how this pattern was marked? I suppose a series of triangles...but how did they keep them in line across the width?

The back is a cotton sateen in the same floral pattern. The quilt probably dates from the 1920's. The quilt measures 72" x 87". The wadding seems to be a thin wool filling. The edge is finished with three lines of machine stitching. The seller had no information of the origin of the quilt. It was just one of those things that had always been around! The seller was from Poole, Dorset.

No comments:

Post a Comment