Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 5 October 2013

Scottish Quilt - Dingwall

Here is a quilt from Scotland. I don't know very much about Scottish quilts, and apart from one marked Allendale quilt that came from Ayr, this is the only quilt that I have that comes from Scotland. This quilt came from a house clearance in Dingwall, which is in the Highlands.


The quilt is rectangular and measures 63 x 78 inches. The fabric is a pink cotton sateen. There is a central flower, with diamond infill surrounded by straight lines with a simple twist. the outer border has a bellows pattern with daisies in the corners.


Another photo of the central flower motif.


The edge is neatly machine sewn..


There are large daisies - this was a popular pattern. The wadding is a thick cotton filling.

2 comments:

  1. So far I have only heard about the Scottish Hawick quilts...but this is a beautiful piece, too! Simple, but striking. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete