Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 19 July 2013

"New" Books on Quilting

I'm always looking for good books on quilt history to add to my library - but there are so many books out there now, that it is difficult to keep up. So these are not newly published , but they are new to me...


The AQS book on Quilt Care - I was interested to see this. BQSG has long hoped to republish its booklet on quilt care, as its the one subject that always comes up at Exhibitions and quilt shows. I'm hoping that ours will be ready soon. But this little book has a distinct American flavour. There seem to be so many older US quilts, that the emphasis is often on repair and renovation....I have never repaired my older quilts, although I do wash them, if I think that they're up to it....the emphasis in the UK is on conservation and preservation.

Two other books - one on paisley fabrics, and the other on Feed sacks....both ones to be browsed through...


This is the one that  I found of most interest, and concerns the patriotic quilts made during WWII in the US. Canada and the Red Cross quilts are briefly mentioned. Of course I was mainly interested in that angle....nice illustrations...


I am still working away on my navy and white Hawaiian quilt, and have come to the conclusion that it will not be ready in time for the Festival of Quilts in August. There's just too much left to do, although it is about 75% complete. It will probably go off to FOQ next year, or perhaps Malvern. I will just have to write off the entry fee. Oh well, at least I will not have to hang around to pick up the quilt on Sunday afternoon!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info. on the books, I'm always on the look out for more vintage info! I can relate to the hand quilting dilemma. Some things you just can't rush. I like what I see so far! cheers, CW

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you ever have a chance to hear Sue Reich, author of the WWII book, lecture she is really interesting and a very good historian.

    ReplyDelete