Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 4 September 2012

Contemporary Quilts at Festival of Quilts

Here are some photos of quilts from the contemporary and  art quilt classes of the Festival of Quilts. It seems that there is quite a bit of over lap in the contemporary and traditional quilt classes. One person's traditional is another persons contemporary, and vice versa. The art quilt class is more distinctive...


This quilt is called "Lichen" and is by Janine Visser of the Netherlands. Hand dyed cotton screen printed, discharged and painted fusible web. Three panels of wool felt in mixed techniques.


Here is the whole quilt. Lichens are an indicator of pollution, they will not grow where there is sulphur dioxide - there are lots of lichens in Suffolk, so we must have good air quality here!

I loved the hares on this quilt. I often see hares as I go about Suffolk.



This was an interesting quilt...


Photos don't really do this quilt justice, it was in lovely colours and the piecing was stupendous.


Another very striking quilt "Mrs Sun and Mr Moon" by Turid Tonnessen of Gressvik, Norway. Two wholecloth quilts joined together. I could easily have taken this one home....

This is "Vikings Beware" by Jane Appelbee of Milltimber. Machine and hand quilted wholecloth, hand dyed cotton with paint sticks.Wonderful thistles.



I think that this is "Snake Goddess" by Janneke de Vries-Bodzinga of the Netherlands. The Snake Goddess of Minoan culture, Crete. Wonderfully executed and colourful.




Some nicely done applique -two gates.
By Dilys Fronks of Mold, I think....

Not sure which quilt this is - but again very striking and impeccable piecing. Unusual treatment of colours, subtle, another one I wanted to take home.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for showing you photos.I was unable to go this year so it is good to see the quilts.
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete