Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 3 August 2012

Welsh Quilt Centre, Lampeter - 3

I continue with photos taken at the Welsh Quilt Centre's Exhibition "A Quilted Bridge - the Amish Welsh Connection"

I notice that Dorothy Olser will be giving two lectures on this subject at the Festival of Quilts later this month - well worth attending!

The Ogof quilt - made 2nd half of the 19th C by Benjamin Jones of Ogof Mill. The photo in the catalogue gives a lighter cast to the fabrics, but in the Town Hall, the colours looked very rich.


A detail of the corner of the quilt, showing the quilting stitches and the woollen fabrics.

Sign that accompanied this quilt, showing an old photo and the weaving shed where some of the fabrics were woven. This quilt made me wonder about the quilt found in the attic in Llannelli -  very worn - but perhaps a similar age as this quilt?


Red flannel quilt from Gorsgoch, Cardiganshire - circa 1880 - the reverse of this quilt is green flannel. And on the bed, the Central Star Quilt from Llanrhystud c 1870.


One of my favourite quilts, with fantastic quilting - Bold Blue and Beige Patchwork from Heidrim Carmarthenshire. A mix of hand and machine piecing.Generally, Welsh quilting disregards the patchwork boundaries and treats the quilt as a wholecloth. This quilts breaks all the rules, except at the corners. c 1890. Made of fine wool.


Detail of the centre of the quilt...



And the bottom of the quilt- beautiful!!



Primitive Welsh Flannel patchwork. Drefach near Lampeter. Flannel and wool, blanket inside. around 1800 - an early quilt.


Classic Amish Centre Diamond in a Square - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania - 1920-1930. Wool backed by plain green cotton. Thin cotton wadding,pieced by machine and hand quilted. On loan from the American Museum in Britain.

The exhibition at the Welsh Quilt Centre runs through to 3 November, Tuesday through Saturdays 11 - 4:30. Admission £5. Call 01570 - 422088 for details of opening times on public holidays, as these do vary; also if you are coming a long way. Jens email is : quilts@jen-jones.com

3 comments:

  1. I was able to attend the Espirit Amish quilt exhibit in Lancaster this past year, and am currently reading the new book on the Amish Welsh quilt connection. I think this is fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quilting on the blue and beige quilt looks amazing and I love the haphazard way the Ogof quilt has been built up with the smaller pieces in the borders! Thanks again for sharing your photos of Jen's exhibition and shop.
    Best wishes,Liz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Ogof quilt very much, it reminds me of a Gees Bend quilt. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

    ReplyDelete