Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 31 July 2012

Lampeter - Welsh Quilt Centre - 2

More photos from the Welsh Quilt Centre's Exhibition "A Quilted Bridge". A must see if you are in Wales!


On the bed, a beautiful shoo fly quilt from Milton Iowa, c. 1929, an Amish quilt loaned by the American Museum in Britain. And on the wall - a Welsh quilt, end of 19th c., from Nantgaredig, Carmarthenshire. You can see why there does seem to be a direct connection between the Welsh and the Amish quilts!



I loved the small touches - I thought that you would like to see the clothes hanging on the wall next to the previous two quilts!


A real Gee's Bend quilt, velveteen with cotton backing, again from the American Museum in Britain. 1969.

This quilt may be familiar, it is Jen's quilt that went to the V & A exhibition last year. From Pen Parc, Cardiganshire, c. 1890. Flannel, with parts of a paisley shawl used. Strippy quilt with appliqued and pieced central panel.


Purple and cream diamonds made near Aberystwyth from fine wool. c 1875.

The Welsh equivalent of the Amish doll?


Another patchwork quilt made of woollens, made by Benjamin Jones of Ogof Mill, 2nd half 19th c. When I got lost, I passed by the Ogof weaving shed! You can see the photo next to the quilt. I knew at the time that it was a weaving shed - now I know which one.


Welsh flannel double diamond in a square quilt. Red and blue flannel with blue flannel reverse, the filling is an earlier quilt. 1st half 19th c.

Photo - I think that one of these ladies made the mourning strippy quilt that I showed in the last post...

Of course there are better photos and more information in the catalogue of the show, available from Jen Jones for £5 plus P & P.

The Welsh Quilt Centre, The Town Hall, Lampeter. The exhibition is open from 11 to 4.30, Tuesdays through Saturdays - now through to 3 November 2012. Entry cost is £5 for an adult. Call or email concerning public holidays or if coming a long way (details in my last post).

No comments:

Post a Comment