Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 21 May 2012

BQSG Committee Meeting in York


On Friday, I went up to York to take part in the BQSG committee meeting. Our other two meetings are at FOQ and our autumn seminar.
I shall be going back to York next month for the Quilters Guild Treasurers Meeting.


First, the good news. The quilt museum has had a three year reprieve as the rent has been reduced by the owners, a buildings conservation trust. Perhaps some of the suggestions on making money made by members will be acted on. The signage certainly needs to be improved - some banners or bright flags? It is still hard to locate.


York has a new attraction, a wheel similar to the Eye in London.
York was very busy this visit, as it was race day at York race course. There were huge crowds of punters in the evening, the men in suits and macs, the women in tight dresses and 6" heels (how do they manage to walk in those?)All very merry as they had been drinking all day...

I stayed in the Abbeyfields Guest House which was very pleasant - I immediately changed my booking for next month's stay so that I could go back! The breakfast had to be seen to be believed, with home baked bread...

 Betty's tea rooms were doing a roaring business....its very spacious inside, so you don't have to queue for very long....


Of course the Minster still dominates the town.

We had a really good meeting and got a lot of work done. Afterwards, many of us shot off to the Quilt Museum; I had to buy a few items and look at the exhibits.....then off home on the evening train - two changes but home safely.
It felt good to get back to Ipswich and then Woodbridge.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pippa,
    I agree about the location of the Quilt museum. It is in a lovely building, but not very obvious from the outside and a little off the beaten track. Walkable certainly from the drop off points of the park and rides, but still a little tricky amongst some of the main streets to fond. (especially when distracted by rain and warm shops!!)
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really good news, I am happy to hear that the museum will stay. The idea with bright colored flags is great, that could help! I love the mug you have bought...
    Andrea in Germany

    ReplyDelete