Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 12 March 2012

Ringing Outing to Norfolk

On Saturday, Mike and I went to Norfolk to help Paul Norris and his band of learners from Brooke, on their spring ringing outing. Of course it is much easier for the learners if they have experienced ringers around them. And sometimes there is another person "standing behind" to give advice and help.

The first tower is one that I have a great affinity for - St Mary's Redenhall. Mother's maiden name is Fuller - there are many in the US! Samuel Fuller and his brother Edward were passengers on the Mayflower and came from Redenhall. Their father Robert was a well-to-do Butcher in Redenhall, and was one of the subscribers who donated money for the 6th bell. So I feel a real connection here. Not only ancestors, but an ancestor that liked the bells and possibly was a ringer.


The second stop was Starston with six bells. More Fullers lived here, also
Samuel's first wife (it seems he went through several).



Then we went on to Pulham St Mary - I had to stop in the local shop Bossy Boots for a snack here, as I was getting hungry! Eight bells here. The stairs caused alarm among some ....but we managed to ring Grandsire, Cambridge and Stedman .




Lunch was at the Crown in Pulham Market.



Ringing at Pulham Market after lunch - these bells will be out of action this summer as work starts on the tower and also the bells. Most church congregations have to work hard to raise money for costly repairs to mediaeval buildings....



Then on the Forncett St Peter - a round tower. These are characteristic of Norfolk, although there are a few to be found in Suffolk. This one had four old bells and two new ones. A sonic bat repeller did not seem to work, the bats had returned and the alter was covered with a protective cloth. Bats are of course protected by law as endangered animals so cannot be directly interferred with although they do make a mess.



The last tower was Carleton Rode, six light bells here. A church mouse was spotted here...



Spring is on its way and there were wildflowers to be seen in the churchyard including Celandine...



..... and Primroses.




Next Saturday, I hope to go to the quilt study day organised by Region 9 at Swaffam Prior near Cambridge. I'll try to take some photos to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment