Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 17 March 2012

Red and White Welsh Strippy

Here is an older Welsh strippy in red and white (actually a white print with small flowers). The back is a plain white fabric. Again it is "Victorian" in age - I guess this means 1890-1900? The size is 78 x 72 inches. It is rubbed at one end and you can see a dark coloured woollen blanket inside.

You can see that the strips are much wider in Welsh strippies than their North Country counterparts. The quilting designs are pleasant and functional.




One design has squares infilled with spirals.



Another border has half circles - a form of Church Windows but without the overlaps...


Here you can see the blanket peeping through - this quilt has been well used...



Another photo of that border design of half circles....




There is a central medallion - it is a bit hard to see but it is a series of concentric circles which echo the border design. Some of the strips have crosshatching on them.



The quilting shows up well on the reverse.



This quilt amused me - the dealer, Geoff B from Brecfa, bought it at an auction and said of the quilt "it is a Cardiganshire one & very old. A lady had it over her legs in a very cold auction - as she was leaving a long time before me and I was perished to the bones I asked her if she wanted to sell and she did...it stopped my knees knocking but not my teeth chattering...Cheers Geoff.


Later he also wrote "The lady I purchased it from was just in front of me with her husband and they were wrapped up in it - most people that day had blankets. It looked like a scene from a Russian outdoor prom, I stood from 9 am to 6 pm in a sub zero shed without any heat. When they got up to go I asked if they wanted to sell, ever the opportunist me. I would think that it was a local quilt - Carmarthen.


If I lived in Wales it would be fun to go to these auctions....

1 comment:

  1. What a great quilt! I love the stripes and quilting.

    ReplyDelete