Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Saturday 10 March 2012

Dark Paisley Welsh Quilt

Here is a very traditional Welsh quilt - not a "best" quilt, but one that would be used on the bed. The fabrics used are the dark paisley prints that the Welsh seemed to favour, and the filling is a wool blanket.

This quilt measures 80 x84 inches. Each side has a different paisley print with a dark background. The quilting is a simple diamond crosshatching.


A closer view of the diamond quilting.






Closer view of the print - more of a floral than a paisley, I guess.





You can see that the other side is a different fabric. Although this quilt was sold as "unused" I think that the fabrics are faded and would originally been much more colourful, as they would have had brighter reds and greens in them.

No provenance on this quilt, although the seller was from Swansea.


Closer view - oh yes, some paisley shapes visible on this side! The edge is a neatly handsewn knife or butt edge.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Pippa. This is certainly an interesting quilt for it's fabric. I especially like the quilt in the previous post--very lovely quilting.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete