Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 13 February 2012

Weekend Activites

A book that I have been looking forward to reading arrived this weekend! It is Dorothy Osler's book, Amish Quilts and the Welsh Connection. This is a lovely book, nicely set out with some lovely illustrations.

I know Dorothy through my work with the British Quilt Study Group. I am looking forward to reading the entire book - there is much information on both Amish and Welsh quilts, of course, but also Amish and Welsh settlement patterns in the United States.



I also got my copy of Karin Hellaby's new book Sew Simple Pinwheels. Lots of ladies submitted quilts to illustrate this book. I had been asked to make a quilt in fabrics that Karin had given me, in Amish plains...




I finally (after several minutes) spotted my quilt on the back cover! It is the dark one at the bottom..... Lots of the little quilts have Suffolk Puffs or Yo-yo's which are a cute embellishment.





I also tried out the new Clover black and gold quilting needles this weekend . Just as advertised, they are sharp, glide through the fabric easily and are fairly stiff. I do like them - but the eye of the needle is very tiny (a bit difficult to thread, even with my thinner thread) and also very short - sometimes hard to pull through once I have picked up three or four stitches.




I taught a Saturday class at Quilters Haven, Karin's shop in Wickham Market. I put the ladies through their paces with machine quilting....luckily, I brought along my trusty Bernina as usual. Sometimes the machines the students bring along are unsuitable for various reasons - its always nice to know that my old machine can be relied upon to machine quilt if need be.




On Sunday we went for a walk at Sutton Hoo, which is not far away from where I live in Melton. This is of course the famous ship burial site of the Anglo Saxon king Raedwald....lovely view across the river Deben to Woodbridge - the tall church is St. Mary's.




Here is a typical view across the fields (growing turf for lawns in this case) - you can see the pine trees - the snow is just about gone...




On Saturday night we had the annual Pettistree dinner at the Melton Coach and Horses pub. It went well, and one of the Wickham Market bellringers, Derek Martin, won the plate for most improved ringer of the year. Well done Derek!

6 comments:

  1. Pippa, I totally agree with your comments on the Clover black and gold quilting needles. I like to get 3-4 stitches on my needle when I can, and that leaves very little room to grab the needle and pull!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently tried those needles too - I too find it harder to thread. I think they bend just as much as my other needles though - I tried them because I was told they wouldn't bend as much when quilting, but don't find that true.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered that book and the seller says I must wait several weeks before it arrives. So, I am very glad to hear that it is worth it. As an American with a Welsh grandfather I expect it will be an interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Taryn, I have a Welsh ancestry, too - my father's mother was a Griffith....Mennonite and English in there too so a real mix I guess! Pippa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the black and gold applique needles for quilting!

    Sandra Leichner recommended them for applique. (She suggests that you run them thro some fabric to remove the "manufacture storage finish".)

    I find they really suit me for my hoopless quilting. (The quilting ones were too small to get a grip.)

    I use the clover needle threader and aurilfil quilting weight thread - about 80% "first time thro the eye" success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment Steph, I bought a Clover needle threader many years ago, I will have to get it out and try it again. Pippa

    ReplyDelete