Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Tuesday 17 January 2012

Indian Quilt from Sindh

Here is a quilt that I bought before Christmas. It is a vintage Indian quilt but the seller knew very little about this quilt. It is rectangular (sort of) and the measurements are about 70 by 42 inches. It is at least 30 years old and is in purple, claret and yellow fabrics with embroidery in threads of various colours.

A long quilt - so only one half shown here. The embroidery gives this quilt a very rich surface texture. In Patricia Ormsby Stoddard's book Ralli Quilts the quilts which most closely resemble this quilt are those on pages 80 - 82. These are embroidered ralli quilts, from the tribal group known as Jogi, Lower Sindh. Thick coloured thread defines the patterns, in a step stitch. The fabric is cotton.


The ends of the quilt are not square, giving a charming effect. These ralli quilts were made from recycled materials, however recent quilts are made from purchased fabrics.




There is an immense amount of work in this quilt. Also to be seen are small areas of satin stitch, used as accents.



The edge is turned in, and embroidered with a tent stitch.




The reverse of the quilt is in cream cotton.




Reverse of the quilt.Stoddard reports that Jogis are snakecharmers and entertainers, and are found on both sides of the Pakistan-India border. They were traditionally nomadic but have now settled down. The Jogis are well known for their small square rallis used for carrying snakes as well as embroidered quilts.

1 comment:

  1. What fascinating information you have found out and the work in that quilt is amazing.

    So glad it's with someone, like you to treasure it!

    Sft x

    ReplyDelete