Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Monday 18 July 2011

Two Quilts - Nearly Finished

Well the two quilts are very nearly ready - just the last touches to make - I guess I'm not the only one to be doing that this week! They have to be posted off next week to arrive by the 29th.

Here is the large sawtooth diamond. It is a large quilt at over 90 inches square. There is just a last check to make for unquilted areas (I know there are a few left) and then to "defur" it, pack it and send it off.



Here is my "helper" Snowy - sitting on top of the sewing machine where I will have to shoo her off.




And here is the bell quilt. I had tried to make a central panel using the photo of the bells amongst the ruins. I enlarged the photo several times - pieces were still very small!and the colours were very dark ... and the bells didn't stand out too well - the harder I worked, the worse it looked ...so with a deadline looming I went over to "Plan B", a simpler centre where there was a circle of bell blocks. Of course the block made by Sue Spiegel had to go into the centre - she is the Cathedral artist in residence who had to be extricated, wounded, through a window of the collapsed cathedral. I think this centre looks good. The rest of the blocks were placed fairly randomly as in a scrap quilt.



This quilt is good proof that there is no such thing as a standard 1/4 inch seam allowance. Fortunately the blocks were not difficult to sew together as I had used my sandboard to mark the 6 inch seam line on the reverse of each block, having folded them in half first. I sewed them into blocks of nine -leaving some extra blocks to go along the bottom.



The finished top before the extra blocks and borders were attached. At the moment I am busy machine quilting the borders. More photos to follow once that is finished! This quilt will have a binding!!



Fianally, the bunch of beautiful flowers that Mike gave me for my birthday. There are roses plus some lovely Protea flowers from South Africa.


On Saturday I taught hand quilting at Quilters Haven in the morning - then we rang quarter peals on the bells at Wenhaston and Reydon. You could hear the Latitude music festival thumping along in the background - not a good year as there have been heavy downpours all weekend! To finish we all went to Southwold Pier and the others (not me - wimp) went swimming in the sea before having fish and chips. We admired the view of rain clouds departing and a beautiful sunset. A nice day.

9 comments:

  1. The red and white quilt is eceptional. LOVEit.Carolm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you lots of success with this beautiful quilt, and happy birthday. I LOVE bdays, they are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilting on the pink and white quilt is exquisite. Beautiful beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and plan "B" turned out great on the bell quilt. I wish I could see it close-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pippa,
    it looks lovely, I am blown away. I like that the centre block now looks like a bell ringing full circle! Awesome. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and Snowy looks gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The saw tooth diamond quilt is stunning and the bell quilt is quite charming ....Wow such a lot of work all with snowy's help no doubt......well done Pippa ...x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both quilts are marvellous, you did a wonderful job, Pippa! Good luck for the FoQ, my quilt has already arrived in UK...

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful quilt Pippa. I wish you every success with it at the FOQ and I shall look forward to seeing it up close and personal. Well done to you too on your bell quilt.

    ReplyDelete