Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 22 December 2010

Yellow and Green Country Quilt

Here is what I would call a "country" quilt. It is a double bed size and a lovely faded yellow gold on one side and a bluey green on the reverse. It is a very heavy quilt and has a heavy blanket inside but has the wonderful patina of use, together with some fabulous stitching and textures (although the stitching is not fine).




Although the stitching is necessarily large, there are some good traditional patterns on this quilt. It is made of cotton sateen which has a lovely soft feeling to it. The size is double bed size.



The blue green side has some fades but is still a gorgeous colour (doesn't show very well in this photo). This is the reverse and due to the heavy nature of the wadding, the pattern does not show as clearly on this side - but still some great textures here.


The dealer Said in an email "I'm sorry I don't know its history, I've had it at least 11 years. Its the one I use on my daughter Siwans bed in the winter. She's 12 years now and when she came out of her cot went straight into an antique double bed. But this Xmas she had a computer and the only way I could get the desk in her room was to put in a single bed, so this quilt was too big. I did not want to store it away, I'm really trying to cut back on what I store. Half the attic's been converted into a room. Over the past year I have unpacked tons and tons of boxes I have stored over the past 20 years." Jane lives in Llanddowror and often bought quilts and blankets at local house sales.

This quilt is worn and not in the best condition but somehow it embodies what a Welsh quilt should be - weighty, colourful and with some great quilting patterns. A real character quilt.



A four lobed design - sometimes known as "crank".



This photo shows the colour a bit better...

Patterns seen - spirals, fans, geometric designs, leaves. It is quilted in the traditional format with central coin, and outside borders. A lovely quilt.

3 comments:

  1. This quilt is so "alive" - the slight irregularities in the design make it seem very organic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pippa, I agree - it is a real character quilt. And I love it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilting is fabulous! So, let me make sure I understand what makes a Welsh quilt what it is. It needs to be heavy. Lots of different quilting designs(are there certain designs that make it Welsh?), it should be quilted with a center design followed by "borders" that are quilted instead of pieced?

    ReplyDelete