Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Wednesday 1 September 2010

Quilts going to France

Here are the quilts that are going off to Jane Rollasons "Exhibition in the Heartland of the Vineyards"Charentes en Couleur - 18 - 19 September. Some of these quilts have been featured in previous posts, however, only three were with the Grosvenor Exhibitions Spring Quilt fairs.
Patchwork with Roses Quilt - 78 x 86 - not including the frill. Quilt owned by Catherine Philips who lived in Ammanford until her death in 1975 at 85 years of age. Quilt believed to have been made by Catherine’s mother. Exact age unsure. Sold to me by granddaughter Ann Fairburn, Ammanford. Back of quilt has fades and stains but front, which was presumably the "good" side,is generally in good condition. Quilting with spirals, flowers, leaves and more. Toured with Spring Quilt Fairs


1920’s Roses - 76 x 78. Originally from Carmarthen, it was owned by an elderly lady and stored for many years in a plastic bag on top of a wardrobe. Doesn’t seem to have been used at all, although there are some small brown marks in one area, not noticeable due to the lively fabric. Hand quilted with spiral patterns. Lovely floral fabric in two slightly different patterns. Toured with Grosvenor Quilt fairs.



Red Paisley Welsh Quilt - 774 x 84 inches - about 1900. A heavyweight quilt with wool wadding inside. Has a circular medallion in the middle. Heavy cotton fabric with two different patterns - the reverse has turkey red with diamond patterns and orchids! Red was a popular colour as it was considered to be warming - red was also considered to have healing properties, so was useful for children and the sick.


Pink/Floral Print Quilt - circa 1900. 80 x 82 inches. Handstitched with some fabulous patterns. Large circular medallion pattern in the centre with scrolls, leafs, chevrons, flowers in pots and more.Probably a wedding quilt, as there are heart motifs. The patterns surrounded by circles are unusual for a Welsh quilt. From South Wales. Carded wool as a filling.This toured with the Quilt Shows (Grosvenor).


Green and Pink Satin Quilt - circa 1900 - 84 x 86 inches -In pink and green with wool wadding inside - good stitching with a large central medallion, leaves, hearts, scrolls and other patterns.

Blue and Pink Strippy - end of 19th century - 72 x 68 inches. Welsh strippies have wide strips and the quilting patterns follow the traditional central medallion pattern, unlike north country strippies in which the quilting designs follow the strips. Here we see spirals, church windows and flowers. The wadding is carded wool. This quilt came from a farm owned by the Howell family , Brynteg, at Cynwyl Elfred in Carmarthenshire and was made by the sellers grandmother, who had considerable skill and may have been a seamstress.
.



.

3 comments:

  1. I have just stumbled upon your blog and am blown away with the exquisite pieces you have showcased here. I am an hand quilting fan and love to look at vintage hand quilting. I feel like a kid in a candy store looking at your blog, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I love seeing the quilts over and over again, don't apologize for showing them again! We LOVE them
    its fun to look at the fabrics too.
    I love seeing different things( guess noticing different things) when I see the quilts again.
    again thanks for sharing with us.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooooooooh quilts to die for.
    I just love those Welsh quilting patterns - though I find the straight lines very hard to handle (keep straight).

    I wish I could see them in the flesh.

    ReplyDelete