Search This Blog

I am a quilter living in Woodbridge, Suffolk who has made quilts since I was a teenager. I also ring bells! Both are great British traditions....I will try to feature some of my antique Welsh and Durham quilts, the quilts I make myself, my quilting activities and also some of my bellringing achievements. Plus as many photos as I can manage. NB: Double click on the photos to see greater detail, then use back button to return to the main page.













Friday 4 June 2010

Very faded Star Quilt




Here is a quilt from Tyne and Wear. It is so faded that it appears white. It must have been made with a coloured fabric originally, as why bother to piece white fabrics? The star and borders have a VERY faint "blush" so perhaps it was originally pink - a popular combination, pink and white. Evidently the edges were worn, as it has been rebound on two sides in a satiny ribbon at some point.

The quilting is in white thread so no clues there! The borders and the star are machine pieced. Quilting is 10 stitches to the inch and the quilting patterns seen are:
Centre - rose in a ring
Diamonds - rose and fern
Squares - infill plus a large rose in a ring plus ferns
Border 1 - small running feather border 2 - twist plus corner scroll Border 3 - Small floral scroll Border 4 - Twist Border 5 - large floral scroll

The fabrics are cotton sateen and the wadding is cotton. Interestingly, the repair binding has been put on with a machine zigzag, so must be a later addition. A missing part of the border quilting pattern shows that the quilt has been cut down where there was wear - this quilt has seen some long service on a bed!! The quilting is nicely done, however. Undoubtedly a nice quilt in its day, with pride of place.

2 comments:

  1. It's a lovely quilt. I wonder if someone bleached it at some point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to own this quilt just to study the quilting patterns, it is beautiful. thank you for sharing such great pictures so we can enjoy the quilting too!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete